Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Interview: VERA XANE.



Alex Smyth-Kirk is the brain behind Australia's hottest new jewellery label VERA XANE.
After 3 out of 4 years studying a Bachelor of Design and Textiles at the University of Textiles Sydney, 
Alex decided that jewellery was more her calling and put down the needle and thread.
You could say that the transition was somewhat seamless and relatively expected, having trained as a silver and goldsmith 
during her final years at high school, under the guidance of a master jeweller and later on working part-time 
designing in-house pieces for an Australian fine jewellery brand.
Each piece is individually hand-made with the utmost care, guaranteeing that no two piece will ever be the same.

The latest collection titled, 'Dichotomies' gathers inspiration from the women in some of Alex's favourite songs. 
There was nothing specifically visual that she worked off, 
just a picture in her mind of what she would imagine these women wearing if they were here today.
"'Dichotomies' is about the idea that we all embody an inhibited spirit, but modern practicality tends to prevail. 
So this collection is a reflection of those two ideas coming together - the wild and the wearable"


I was lucky enough to ask Alex a few questions about Vera Xane...

1. What inspired your love for designing jewellery?
I have always loved jewellery. I grew up sewing my own clothes and pillows from a very young age as both my grandmothers 
on either side were actually seamstresses! That fairly naturally progressed into me making my own jewellery by hand, 
and as I got older that passion never really went away.


2. Where do you go to for inspiration?
Anywhere and everywhere. I scour magazines constantly, both new and old. I have archival Vogue's from the 80's and 90's that are delightful! 
I also find that I look to architecture and the built environment all the time, aswell as vintage design references. 
I'm usually most inspired however, when I travel.


3. What's your favourite piece to wear from your own collection?
Day to day I can't go past the small cage bangle. It is great for stacking but also enough of a statement to wear on it's own. 
My absolute favourite piece however, is the cage neckpiece. Up until production there have only been two samples of the neckpiece in the world. 
This means that I don't have one from myself and it's killing me!


4. What do you see for Vera Xane in the future?
I'd definately like to expand the label both in product range and also in terms of moving offshore. 
I'm investigating new accessories all the time and textiles are definately an area I'm interested in.


Pieces will be available to purchase via the online store soon.
x.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

omg LOVE THIS! thanks for introducing us. :) fierrrrrrrce

and i'm just glad i don't remember the fall! :) i'm feeling much better, thanks girl.

x h


http://www.thefashionhash.com

Unknown said...

amazing!!

caterina francesca said...

Those cuffs are incredible!!! And the necklace! Omg x

caterina francesca said...

Those cuffs are incredible!!! And the necklace! Omg x

Nina Richards. thirteen little loves. said...

Absolutely beautiful designs.
All so delicate- love the cross necklace.
Thanks for the introduction.
♥ ♥

http://www.thirteenlittleloves.blogspot.com.au/

Nina Richards. thirteen little loves. said...

Absolutely beautiful designs.
All so delicate- love the cross necklace.
Thanks for the introduction.
♥ ♥

http://www.thirteenlittleloves.blogspot.com.au/